Friday, May 11, 2012

A.W.W. [ MAHJONG ]

pronounced: mah-chong

Defined by Wikipedia:

1.Mahjong is a game that originated in China, commonly played by four players (with some three-player variations found in Korea and Japan). 2.Similar to the Western card game rummy, mahjong is a game of skill, strategy and calculation and involves a certain degree of chance.



Examples:

Did you know Grandma is a Mahjong champion in China?!

Can we please play Mahjong instead of Poker, please???


When I come across Mahjong, I always think of a bunch of old people playing at a table, drinking until wee hours of the night. Or..or of Chinese comedy movies. I actually have a Mahjong set I received as a Christmas present and I have yet to crack it open and learn! I will! I swear I will learn to play!

Quick/Basic Rules:

The game is played with a set of 136 tiles based on Chinese characters and symbols. In most variations, each player begins by receiving thirteen tiles. In turns, players draw and discard tiles until they complete a legal hand using the fourteenth drawn tile to form four groups (melds) and a pair (head). There are fairly standard rules about how a piece is drawn, stolen from another player and thus melded. The use of simples (numbered tiles) and honours (winds and dragons), the kinds of melds, and the order of dealing and play. However there are many regional variations in the rules; in addition, the scoring system and the minimum hand necessary to win varies significantly based on the local rules being used.

No comments:

Post a Comment